How polluters like Coca-Cola, Nestle, Unilever & Pepsico are not working towards a World Without Waste

How polluters like Coca-Cola, Nestle, Unilever & Pepsico are not working towards a World Without Waste

It is will great sadness that the drinks industry has attributed to 15% of the worlds global warming over the past 10 years alone. To see that still to this date over 90% of these valuable and difficult to produce materials are not recycled which is adding exponentially to global warming and the weather pattern changes we are all presently experiencing around the world. (Supporting Data here).

The massive plastic pollution footprint created by Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Nestlé and Unilever is a crisis in and of itself. These four companies make little or no mention of emissions from disposal of their products or packaging in their climate change commitments knowing that often they end up either being burned or dumped. Yet they continue to sell billions of products in single-use bottles, sachets and packets in developing countries, despite knowing that the waste isn’t managed at all, their packaging therefore becomes pollution; and such pollution causes serious harm to the environment and people’s health.  Such actions – with such knowledge is morally indefensible.  An act of Ecocide.

Now is the time for action; not blind consumption. We must mobilise the civil rights movement of our generation, to hold to account the companies that are causing the majority of global pollution for profit to the great expense of the natural world. A movement of greening our own lifestyles is simply not enough; but to hold to account what these corporations are doing while they  cleverly guilt spin us into change, while they remain exactly the same.

production - https://www.instagram.com/egorpasta      sound - https://www.instagram.com/suboctane

The Coca Cola brand has been selling their products in the Maldives for over 30 years, and they know full well 10% of the packaging ends up being thrown in the ocean, the other 90% is dumped on an open fire on Tillafushi which is the longest burning fire in human history buring now for 14 years. To me this is corporate ecocide, their advertising specifically targets the young as there are no advertising restrictions in Male (the capital). To help try and counter this,  I opened the first carbon neutral recycling centre in the region and called it 'Makers Place' directly targeting the impact the coke brand is having in the region. The word convenience has destroyed the environment, we must learn to shed this concept. it is convenient to buy a plastic bottle of water rather than carry a ‘life-can’ and refill it with filtered water.

The first sculpture to leave the Makers Place studio in the Baa Atol, Maldives is made exclusively from beach cleanup recycled Coca Cola cans and is titled 'Drink Less'. This newly established carbon neutral recycling studio is tackling single use Plastic & Aluminium pollution & the global warming associated from their production and disposal. Globally most single use packaging simply ends up in land fill rubbish tips, dumped into our oceans or worse still burned in open fires as seen in many developing countries around the world. 

thanks for being here, please lets stay connected.

Contact us for availability of 'Drink Less' made of beach cleanup Coca Cola cans.

drink less aluminium sculpture made from recycled aluminium drinks cans in a green studio